Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Parent I Hope to Be.

In class this week we discussed parenting.  I'm not a parent yet, nor will I be a parent for awhile.  But I do know the kind of parent I want to be. 
In John Gottman's book, How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child, he talks about the importance of raising children to understand their emotions. You do this through five steps: 1. Be aware of a child’s emotions 2. Recognize emotional expression as an opportunity for intimacy and teaching 3. Listen empathetically and validate a child’s feelings 4. Label emotions in words a child can understand 5. Help a child discover appropriate ways to solve a problem or deal with an upsetting situation. 

Sometimes the best way to show someone you love them, is to show them you understand how they feel.  They can better recover from emotionally stresses and emotion coaching also teaches them how to problem-solve.  If you are a parent or even a future parent, I would highly recommend this book.

In an october conference talk, Elder Larry R. Lawrence of the seventy, also offered five different strategies for parents.  He said, "Church leaders have counseled us to establish righteous patterns in our homes. Consider five fundamental practices that have the power to fortify our youth: family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, family dinner together, and regular one-on-one interviews with each child."

As we follow this counsel and glean to the gospel, we will better understand how to raise our children.  I know I'm not going to be a perfect mother, but if I could only teach one thing to my children, I would want it to be about their Savior, Jesus Christ.  Who atoned for their sins and died so they could live again.  I would hope that they could understand the immense love that He has for them.  

I know that as I rely on the Lord, he will continue to guide me through my life and through the lives of my future children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment